Mandala

Mandala

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Living in a UU world

So, I do a lot of thinking, and I get lots of ideas about things and I do not always know what to do with them.  Instead of flooding my friends and family with all of this, and because I am not a disciplined journal writer, I decided that I would write a blog as a part of my spiritual practice and journey.

I cannot guarantee that everything I write about will be about my church or the faith tradition that I love, but I guess that I figure that I am beginning to define myself in certain ways and being a UU is a big one, so I imagine it will all be related.

UU stands for Unitarian Universalist, and is the faith I have found after years of searching that works best for me.  It is a covenantal faith tradition, meaning that we do not have a text like the Bible or the Koran that we follow, or a doctrine or creed that drives us in our worship and fellowship together.  We are guided instead by promises that we make to each other and by seven principles that we hold to be true.  Unitarian Universalist Principles can be found here.  Keep reading and I will link you to the children's version which in my opinion is cooler and easier to relate to.

I have grown up as a religious person for a good part of my life, and have been raised in a number of Protestant faiths as a child.  However, as an adult, I had a lot of questions that could not be answered, and were not really appreciated in many of those religions.  So I just stopped going.  A few years ago, my dear husband decided that we should go back to church and I was terrified.  I was not sure what I believed, but was sure I did not believe the way church people believed, and I dug in my heels.

I began to search online for a non-denominational religion that I felt I could at least sit through the service without feeling like a complete hypocrite.  Somehow, I ran across the UU church.  I had never heard of it, so I did not have many of the preconceived notions that are out there about what a UU church is.  There is a lot of misunderstanding, but I am sure that is true of any religion.  I will leave that for another blog post.

We went to the church a few times, and it was such a drastic change from what we were both used to that I think we got a little scared.  There was no Bible, many religions were discussed and honored, and it just felt a little loosey goosey to two people who grew up with much more religious structure.  So we went back to be unchurched for a couple of years, but I kept thinking about and researching the church, the faith and the organization.

Along came lil man, and then we started thinking about church again.  I kept thinking of the first principle of the worth and dignity of every person and the fact that all religious and spiritual beliefs are accepted (perhaps questioned and debated) and that he would learn about all of them and then be free to choose his own path when he was older.  So when he was old enough to participate in children's religious education we went back.  We have been going every since, and are so involved in the community now that I am not sure what I would do without it.

I enjoy the challenge of having to find my own spiritual path, and to be honest, I am not sure what it is.  I cannot define who I am or what I believe spiritually with the conviction of some of my fellow congregants.  I know that I believe in being kind, I believe in acceptance, and I believe that everyone has the right to believe or not believe however they wish.  And that's what I love about the fact that I have found this religious community to which I now proudly belong.

Oh yeah, the children's principles are here.

3 comments:

  1. It is a real joy to watch you claiming your UU identity and to witness the way you are boldly striding into leadership in our Congregation. I love your family, and am happy that you guys are a part of the Congregation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I do a lot of thinking, and I get lots of ideas about things and I do not always know what to do with them. Instead of flooding my friends and family with all of this, and because I am not a disciplined journal writer, I decided that I would write a blog as a part of my spiritual practice and journey." Great minds right!
    Anyway, i was born w/o a religion & have as of yet not acquired one. Growing up i just called myself an atheist (lack of belief) but never gave it much thought. First divorce left me searching. Felt maybe others had figured out something i hadn't so started going to sisters church. Disappointed that church wasn't where you studied the bible (hers anyway) it was more of a social event. So i dropped out & went they DIY route. Read the bible. So before i called myself atheist, now i pretty much became anti-theist. Over the years it subdued. Always drawn back to religion though. Read bible multiple times as well as the koran. Still no connection.
    After 2nd divorce (last one, i PROMISE!) i met a co-worker that i connected with. Except she was a DEVOUT Christian. She asked me to read CS Lewis. I did. Interesting but that's about it. Then i read "Blue Like Jazz". Better. Since then i've read trilogy "Conversations w/ God" and several others i can't think of at the moment. One thing i have found from opening my mind and being willing to see other viewpoints i can see "truth" in parts of every religion.
    My path has taken me down a different path, but it is one i would not be on had i not been willing to be open to what i before was adamantly opposed to.
    Regarding the children's version of the 7 principals; sounds spot on to me. Might have to make a visit.

    Thanks,
    @DaveGrigger

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love CS Lewis, and reread his books often. It's like a security blanket I guess. Sounds like you and I have a lot in common on this path. I am constantly questioning, and have no good answers. Many of my fellow congregants are strongly committed to Buddhism or Hinduism or Christianity or Paganism or Judaism or a multitude of other things. Some are Atheist, Agnostic, or searching. I can see value in the religious experience no matter what form it takes. It's just not really for me. However, I respect everyone's ability to come together in a common place and celebrate their similarities and their differences. We can all agree on one thing, we are all human.

    I always give folks a head's up about the first time checking out a UU church. I know people from a bunch of different locations and have found that, not surprisingly, each church can be very unique in their approach. So what I say here I can only attest to as an experience in my own congregation. There is a very interesting history of the religion and lots of info can be found at the links above. It's certainly not a church for everybody, but from what you are saying, it sounds like it might be worth a try. Good luck on your spiritual journey.

    I saw a quote one time that I thought was funny.

    Unitarian Universalism, where all of your answers have questions.

    ReplyDelete